Monday, March 24, 2008

Nowhere to Hide

We go to a small school,
a small school in a small city.
In this city there are no places to go where I don't bump into one of you.
Even when I don't, I'm certain you are all bumping into each other. 
If we are not losing hair at school, we are loitering in the aisles of Kroger
or Decompressing in the free-internet haven of a coffee store.
Richmond doesn't offer anywhere to hide from your fellow student,
not that this is a particularly bad thing. 
I come from a city where anonymity comes with the territory,
where you never see the same person twice on the subway ride to work,
and where you could befriend no one for more than a few minutes a year.
In Richmond, we are constantly bumping into each other at every bar, every resturant and every other city street.
I guess I have to try harder to find somewhere other than my own bedroom to hide.

1 comment:

Abhishek said...

So true... I am in Syracuse,NY rite now and it feels the same. Same people all the time.

Miss the times at home, where anonymity was a blessing in disguise :)

Nice blog :)